A Touch of Now - An Introduction

“I sit here desperately wanting to create something; to say something on these pages that will convey my thoughts, the beauty of this spot; to share my experience of this moment in time. My chest aches and tightens, as if to squeeze out the salty tears of longing. I look up from my shaded table cracked and weathered like the hull of an ancient ship, my back warmed in the afternoon sun, and thought is inadequate to the task.
Emerald green waves, speckled white with tips of foam, roll toward me from a forest curling like a finger out into the sea. Puffy white clouds emerge from beyond this jagged green horizon and float in lazy patterns against a pale blue sky. Leaves flutter in the warm breeze and dancing shadows dabble all around my wordless perch as seagulls, screeching nature’s plan, dive for unseen morsels and a jittery squirrel buries his face in the still moist grass.
The scene is there for everyone present. My experience lost within me and an inability to truly share the wonder may be my greatest pain.”


When exactly I wrote this is uncertain. Why, is an even greater mystery? What I am certain of however, is the truth embraced by the experience. It describes a moment in which I felt the touch of “now,” and in that touch the truth was unmistakable, simple, clear, and thoroughly unspeakable. I was present to that moment and the moment shared with me all there is to know. This Blog is about my journey, then and now, into the moment and the truth I find there.


July 6, 2010

You Make me Feel......

      It is quite obvious that when I interact and talk with people, I can learn about them. But it is observed less often that I can also learn about myself. Today I can see that when I have reactions to what people say or do, while it does say something about them, more importantly it is a window into myself. In the same way that no one can make us angry, they cannot make us have feelings that we are not already prone to feel. When I sense someone is kind, compassionate, or loving, I am at the same time tapping into my own abilities to have these feelings. In the past if I felt love or compassion in the presence of another I would likely attribute these feelings in me as coming from them. Do we not often attribute our capacity to love another as originating in them, as though we need them to be able to love? The words to a song come to mind; "You made me love you." Many of us tend to give credit for our good qualities to the influence of those around us, while we are always eager to take full credit for our negative feelings.
      Yet when my friend would become energized and almost tearful when talking about how she loved and respected her teacher, I responded to that with similar, if not identical, feelings toward her because it is also within me to feel this way. Too often we lose sight of this and can get into a place where we believe that in order for us to love or feel joy, we need that other person to be present in our lives. We can be obsessed with people, places, and things when we believe our feelings are coming from our association with them. This is the beginning of dependency and is not at all accurate. A person may be a mirror or conduit for my qualities to come the surface but what is not there to begin with, cannot be brought forth by another….be that love or rage.

No comments: