A Touch of Now - An Introduction

“I sit here desperately wanting to create something; to say something on these pages that will convey my thoughts, the beauty of this spot; to share my experience of this moment in time. My chest aches and tightens, as if to squeeze out the salty tears of longing. I look up from my shaded table cracked and weathered like the hull of an ancient ship, my back warmed in the afternoon sun, and thought is inadequate to the task.
Emerald green waves, speckled white with tips of foam, roll toward me from a forest curling like a finger out into the sea. Puffy white clouds emerge from beyond this jagged green horizon and float in lazy patterns against a pale blue sky. Leaves flutter in the warm breeze and dancing shadows dabble all around my wordless perch as seagulls, screeching nature’s plan, dive for unseen morsels and a jittery squirrel buries his face in the still moist grass.
The scene is there for everyone present. My experience lost within me and an inability to truly share the wonder may be my greatest pain.”


When exactly I wrote this is uncertain. Why, is an even greater mystery? What I am certain of however, is the truth embraced by the experience. It describes a moment in which I felt the touch of “now,” and in that touch the truth was unmistakable, simple, clear, and thoroughly unspeakable. I was present to that moment and the moment shared with me all there is to know. This Blog is about my journey, then and now, into the moment and the truth I find there.


November 4, 2009

Along the Way

     When I first began meditation I was eager to achieve enlightenment. I looked forward to the promise of transcendence, a release from the pain and difficulty associated with human existence. I was young and certain that I could reach this enlightened state - this mystical place where I would no longer ‘grasp at things’ and be able to ‘see’ the truth that liberates men and women from worldly concerns and the ever spinning wheel of “samsara” – and do so in record time. I studied. I read. I meditated. I purchased many books and tried “zazen,” both on my own and with others, and what I quickly found was that nothing happens quickly, especially when you are looking in the wrong place.
     I thought enlightenment was a place; a peaceful world outside myself, somewhere beyond this moment. And I figured that if I learned the necessary techniques I would be transported to this wonderland of tranquility. As happens to all good plans of mice and me, there were roadblocks, setbacks, and frustrations that interfered with my timetable for success and nearly caused me to conclude that I had been duped. I began to think that there really was in fact, no such thing as enlightenment. That it was all a sham, a ploy to sell books and….well, you know what I’m talking about ….if I don’t get it there must be something wrong with it.
     I continued to study and meditate however, and began to realize that I had not been studying correctly. I had been reading from a place of knowing something rather than from Suzuki’s Beginners Mind. I realized enlightenment and nirvana, like the truth I had been searching for, are available in each and every moment. Enlightenment is not a place to go, or a thing to get. It is being present to this moment, open to all that it contains without it being perceived as good or bad. No judgment; simply being present to it just “as it is”. Enlightenment, we might say, is with everyone at all times. 
     What does it mean to be enlightened? What was the nature of Shakyamuni’s enlightenment? How does human consciousness block us from experiencing enlightenment…from being enlightened? These were the new questions that rose to center stage.
      I have always been suspicious of one who professes to know what the long deceased author meant five centuries ago when he set to paper an idea that got him hung in the town square. I don’t want to repeat this act of self-aggrandizement. I write with the hope that by the time someone reads this sentence, I will have a clearer and perhaps quite different perspective than the one presented here. The lines representing the limits of my knowledge are the same as those representing the limits of my experience, and those limits are expanded by the force of time and the effort I expend to remain open amid the impermanence of life.

No comments: